Stats Highlights, SL v Ind, 2nd ODI
Perth, Feb 8: India provided Sri Lanka a hostile welcome to the tri-series, restricting the side to a sub-par score and reaching the target with four wickets in hand. R Ashwin impressed to win his first ODI Man-of-the-Match award that helped India end their streak of nine overseas losses in the format. Skipper Dhoni took his tally of one-day dismissals to 250 while Sachin Tendulkar completed 3,000 ODI runs against Sri Lanka. Take a look at the key numbers from Perth.
- India and Sri Lanka were facing each other for the 130th time in an ODI. The record now reads: India 69, Sri Lanka 50, No result 11.
- MS Dhoni completed 250 ODI dismissals when he stumped Thisara Perera off the bowling of R Ashwin. He became the fifth keeper after Adam Gilchrist (472), Mark Boucher (424), Kumar Sangakkara (363) and Moin Khan (287) to do so.
- Incidentally, Dhoni is the slowest among the five to reach this landmark, taking 198 matches to do so. Gilchrist took the least number matches to effect 250 dismissals – 148, followed by Boucher (166), Khan (176) and Sangakkara (188).
- Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene each completed 2,000 runs against India in ODIs. They now join four other batsmen with 2000-plus ODI runs against India: Sanath Jayasuriya (2899), Inzamam-ul-Haq (2403), Ricky Ponting (2151) and Saeed Anwar (2002).
- The Sri Lankan innings did not include a six. The last time India did not concede a six in the opposition’s innings was against England at Cardiff on September 16, 2011, 12 matches ago.
- R Ashwin (three for 32) recorded his best figures outside India, beating his three for 40 against England at The Oval on September 9, 2011.
- Sachin Tendulkar completed 3,000 ODI runs against Sri Lanka. He has already scored 3,060 runs against Australia, the most by any batsman against a particular country in ODIs. He is the only batsman to aggregate 3,000 runs against two countries. No one else has done this against even one opponent.
- Tendulkar also completed 5,000 runs in international matches (Tests/ODIs/T20Is) against Sri Lanka. His 6,498 runs against Australia are the most by any batsman in international cricket against a particular opponent.
- Virat Kohli's innings of 77 is the highest by an Indian batsman at Perth, beating Rahul Dravid's 65 against Australia on January 30, 2000.
- India registered their first win in nine overseas ODIs since beating West Indies at North Sound on June 11,2011.
- India’s total of 234 for six is their highest ever at Perth, beating their 227 against England on February 22, 1992.
- Ashwin has now performed the all-round feat of scoring 30 runs and taking three wickets in the same match on two occasions. The other such occasion for him was against England at The Oval on September 9, 2011 when Ashwin scored 36* and took three for 40.
- Ashwin’s won his first ODI Man-of-the-Match award.