Taking it one series at a time: Dravid
Adelaide, Jan 29: Rahul Dravid has put paid to widespread rumours surrounding his retirement that gained currency on the final day of the Adelaide Test. The Indian legend has come out and said that he has not yet made any decisions regarding his cricketing future. Dravid, who had an ordinary run in India’s 0-4 defeat to Australia (194 runs at an average of 24.25), said that he would take it one series at a time.
Speaking to Channel 9 in response to stories that he made his decision to retire known to the Indian team and management, Dravid said, “I am definitely nearer the end than the beginning, there is no doubt about that. I haven't made any decision and there is no need to make any decisions now. We're not playing another Test match for seven to eight months so we'll see how it pans out. At my stage in my career, it's always about taking it a series at a time and not looking too far ahead, so we'll see what happens.”
Dravid’s poor form was in contrast to his showing in England in July-August last year where the top-order batsman struck 461 runs in four Tests for which he was declared joint Man-of-the-Series (with Stuart Broad).
Despite India having fared poorly in their last few overseas series, Dravid remained confident of an improvement in the future.
“We haven't done so well abroad over the last couple of series but I'm hopeful that some of the young kids will come through. It might take a bit of time but we'll build up a strong base.
“India needs to be a strong Test-playing nation. There are not too many countries playing cricket and I think if India is competitive in Test cricket, it does make a difference," Dravid said.
The Indian team management have also rubbished reports surrounding the retirement of some of the team veterans. “The team management categorically denies this. Reports about senior players retiring are baseless,” team manager G S Walia said in the post-match press conference on Saturday.
Virender Sehwag, who addressed the media after the match, also rejected reports of senior players' retirement.
"Some reports have said that senior players will retire after this series. No such thing has happened and this is a decision that they will take [in due course]," said the stand-in skipper.